My closet (left side). I put my everyday shoes in the shoe organizer for easy access, organized tops and dresses by color and kept only the jeans I am currently wearing on the shelf above. Handbags and additional shoes are stored to the left, while boots and larger bags sit nicely on the floor.
I took tons of notes while going through my closet (not to mention an insane amount of photos with an iPhone App, but that I will save that for another day!). I can't emphasize enough how important this is. These notes are the key to discovering your past shopping patterns and building better future buying habits. There is nothing fancy about them, they really are just like streaming trains of thought. Here is a sampling of the notes about my closet:
- Absolutely no more basic layering tanks! No more long sleeve cotton layering tops... I own an excess of cotton.
- Must own a proper bustier strapless bra situation (my current ones have dents in the boob area, is that weird?). Also some Spanx. And some Hanky Pankys and new bras.
- No more buying black sandals!!! Flat or strappy. Nada. Nunca. No way. Just stop. Time to give another color a chance. Also, how many variations of brown and black boots does one girl need? I guess prior to Fashion Rehab my answer would have been "a lot".
- I HAVE A BLACK SHOE ADDICTION. (see above) I seriously had no idea!
- No more spaghetti strap dresses or long sleeve dresses but say yes to tank, halter and t-shirt dresses! Also why are some dresses so mini? So many dresses I own are actually a tunic on me which means I can't wear any of them except with leggings. Fine for fall, weird for summer.
- Do not buy more sweaters except for a lightweight grey and/or off-white cardi. No more outerwear (the 32 coat scenario), except still lusting over a boyfriend blazer for summer. Kate Moss looks fab in hers here.
- Accessories. Need new stretchy black belt, mine is held together by a piece of thread. Maybe a metallic one, too. Am totally fine in the brown and navy belt department. Do not buy a new hat. Would love some lucite. (Vintage shop, anyone?)
The right side of my closet has sweaters, skirt, pants, handbags and a few other things. My newly organized jewelry sits on top of my dresser alongside my hats, and little baskets keep my "underthings" nice and neat in my top drawer.
So what have I learned? Well, it turns out I actually have a nice collection of classic clutches, coats, long sleeve dresses, shoes & boots, pants, layering shirts, cardis and sweaters, belts, and hats. I have succeeded in wearing them for the year and have still managed to feel good about myself and look (so I think) stylish! What parts of my wardrobe have suffered? And where am I going to restock? Bathing suits, underwear, nice fitting tops and tanks, dresses (both day and cocktail), sunglasses, one possible "everyday bag", and a few accessories to bring everything up to date.
It is a long and arduous task but SO worth it in the end. Come on and try it. What are you waiting for?
P.S. If you aren't following us on Twitter, please do so now! Be in the know about our last days of Fashion Rehab and what's to come!