May 31, 2010
May 28, 2010
May 27, 2010
May 26, 2010
May 25, 2010
May 21, 2010
May 20, 2010
May 19, 2010
May 18, 2010
May 17, 2010
Edited by Thom Wong
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty, but what happens when fashion enters the mix? Several of this week’s links tackle this thorny question with gusto, teasing out the various layers of meaning behind the term beauty and what it means to feel or be beautiful. Ethics and the material nature of style emerged as another dominant theme. The Laundry Narrative wonders if she can enjoy fashion blogging without dealing with the BIG ISSUES. Then there are longer form posts where I felt the writers stretched their narrative legs, some new voices in the game who could use your attention, and, since this is still about fashion, some lovely outfit pics of girls on bikes. Finally I’ve included the only two men who bothered to post (seriously, what up men). And meggings – nooooo!!!!!
Collage images via: Brachman’s Sparrow, évoluer, The Sunday Best, and Oranges and Apples
Links à la Mode : May 13
- 365 Fashion Rehab – Notes from the closet: Day 357! Building better future buying habits by way of a major wardrobe investigation.
- 39th and Broadway – The Fall of Designer Denim.
- Bachman's Sparrow – Saturday Advice column: develop your personal style into something amazing by learning how to take risks and not dress for others.
- Chrissy Styles – I create an outfit inspired by a painting. This time one by Luc Tuymans:
- D e f i n i n g B e a u t y – Pass it On – What do you do with clothes you don’t want?
- DailyDivaDish – True Cost of Disposable Fashion: You may be paying more than you realize.
- Debutante Clothing – Are you Lying? Why Do You Wear Vintage? A response to 5 Lies Women Tell About Vintage Dresses.
May 16, 2010
May 15, 2010
May 14, 2010
May 13, 2010
May 12, 2010
May 11, 2010
Nadine Jolie. A name synonymous with brains, beauty, and blogging. Author of the wildly successful "Confessions of a Beauty Addict" and the modern girl's beauty how-to book "Beauty Confidential: The No Preaching, No Lies, Advice-You'll-Actually-Use Guide to Looking Your Best", Ms. Jolie also blogs daily (www.nadinejolie.com), writes for Vanity Fair and many other online publications, and has appeared on the Today Show.
As we prepare to re-enter the makeup world alone after being away from it for for so long, we knew we were in need of some expert advice. Ms. Jolie recently took time out of her trés busy schedule to answer a few questions for us. We couldn't be more grateful!
With your hectic travel schedule you must be an expert packer. What are your top 5 beauty travel products?
-- When I travel, I try not to skimp on quality! My skin and hair are finnicky, so I pack a mini bag with travel-sized skincare from Arcona, toss in mini haircare products from Bumble and Bumble, and bring sample vials of perfume. I never bring a hairdryer, but I will throw in a mini hairbrush and travel flatiron! (The hair looking good is very important!)
The mercury is rising! What is your best beauty pick(s) for the summer months?
May 10, 2010
- My very first Lust-Have! The Gap's Skinny Jeans - Maybe I'll find some on sale? Although I may not be allowed to buy jeans anymore... Once I have completed my closet makeover, we'll know for sure. Perhaps if they have them in white? Okay, I am now officially getting carried away and it's only the first one! Good grief!
- Cargo Lip Gloss Quad in Oceania - Still love this Canadian company and their amazing gloss!
- Aaah! The Cole Haan Black Patent pumps - These babies planted the seed for the whole Hole-y Wardrobe post! And led me to what may potentially be my first post-Fashion Rehab purchase... (see above)
- Betsey Johnson Carlos Leopard sandal - I found these cuties on sale for $100 at the time. If I found them in a week, I most certainly would pick them up! Great designer, classic print - you can't go wrong!
- Clinique Black Honey mascara - let me at the makeup counter as soon as it's back in stock. Remember A's video? Once you find a product you like, stick with it. And stockpile if you can...
May 7, 2010
- Absolutely no more basic layering tanks! No more long sleeve cotton layering tops...